The technology featured in the international crime-series (German-Danish-Belgian co-production) 'The Team'.
In following clip you will get a good idea of how the technology works.
However you should know that the impressive 3D effect and the strong sence of presence (as if the people
are really present) cannot be demonstrated on the screen you are currently looking at.
See this clip ( courtesy of Lunanime)
The technology is also being used succesfully in Retail Applications whereby the Service or Sales Agents appear life-sized, in 3D and with aligned eye-contact on so-called 'Kiosks'. They can provide all the information and complete all the transactions a physically-present agent could undertake; including authentication, registration, printing, scanning, etc... See example below
1. The servers for European customers are hosted in Europe and not in the USA. That does not only offer a better video/audio quality (shorter delay, crisp and clear , no lipsync issues) but, more importantly,the applications are used under European law. That matters to your customers and for your liabilities. The US based customers use servers hosted in the USA.
2. You can opt to use your own, private, dedicated server in the cloud. The fixed IP number is only used by your company and is not shared with others. This IP number can be programmed in your firewalls for enhanced security.
3. The programs and systems can be used under white label. It looks and feels like your application and no other names than your own appear in the application.
4. The programs can be customized to fit exactly into your own business processes, tailor-made to cope with your specific challenges and custom-built to maximize your producitivity gains. For instance the connection buttons can be integrated into your website, your e-mails, your tekst-chats and your apps. The user interfaces will have your companies’ look and feel and will match your housestyle. That not only includes user interfaces but also dynamic interaction with your existing ICT systems.
5. Over 70% of the users (most used browsers) do not need to download software because the video connections can be established from the native browser. Using plugins and apps, the remaining 30% (iPad, iPhone, Safari, Edge,..) can join. As a result you are compatible with all desktops and all mobiles.
6. The video-connections are established peer-to- peer and thus not via a server. This not only makes it faster but it minimzes the risk of being recorded by a third party. Moreover, the connections are encrypted and thus secured. Thanks tot his – together with additional security measures – the Teleportel video systems are amongst the safest in the world.
7. From the cloud ‘Manager’ you have full control and ‘system management’. Intelligent Routing ensures that the calls are automatically routed to the best suitable member of your staff. These ‘routing’ plans can be set by yourself, very flexibly, in the cloud. Statistical Reports on all the activities (call times, waiting times, customer satisfaction ratings, etc. ) that expired, can be created by yourself in Excel, on-the- fly.
8. Multi-channel : from the same computer, your agents cannot only appear on desktops, but also on dedicated ‘kiosks’ or ‘reception desks’ or ‘information points’. All types of peripheral equipment can be added to these kiosks such as document scanners, cameras, barcode readers, NFC readers, printers, etc… Also, an extra micro-processor can be integrated to enable the remote system to control the environment (opening doors or barriers, moving conveyor belts, switching on lights, etc..). Thanks to all this, all customer interaction activities (desk, shop, retail space, information counter,etc…) can be conducted over distance. This results in cost-cutting, improved productivity and service excellence. In addition to this, the 3D Virtual Teleportation - a patented display technology - makes your staff member appear really physically present in the remote location : life-sized, in 3D, no visible camera nor screen but just the person appearing in ‘mid-air’ and with aligned eye- contact. This is as good as being there and your customers do appreciate this very much.
9. You can activate recording of the video calls (for instance for security or training purposes) and you can do ‘live streaming’. Thanks to the latter, you can reach many viewers (for instance via your website) and this technology literally turns you ordinary computer into a full-blown TV station; without the need of extra hardware or software.
10. Teleportel adopts a zero-response time policy when it comes to technical interventions. That means that our contract-customers will enjoy instant service thanks to ultra-short response times. Micro-processors can be integrated in the remote end-points for more effective remote diagnostics and remedial actions over distance. This results in maximum system availability of the mission critical applications.